12/29/2014

The Giver review

I finally saw The Giver over the weekend. I am behind, I know. As always, these are my opinions and nothing more. I mean no offense to any.

First, let me just say that I LOVE this book. I remember it being life changing for me when I read it when I was younger. I include it on all my top ten book lists (top ten books ever, top ten inspirational/ life changing books, etc.)

That being said, the movie was disappointing. The thing is that I can't exactly say why. All the important plot points were there. Jeff Bridges was good as the Giver. Brenton Thwaites was likeable as Jonas. Even the little parts that they added for dramatic effect, were tastefully done. So, why wasn't it as good as the book? Why did it just not feel as powerful? Frankly, I don't know. I don't know if somehow words make the actual book more powerful. I don't know if seeing it versus reading it detracted from the message. I just can't put my finger on it.

I am considering having my husband read it. He watched it with me, and seeing if watching the movie first takes away from the book.

The last word? This isn't one where you should cheat and just see the movie. Read the book. It is actually on sale today on kindle. Buy it. Read it.

No comments: