11/04/2016

Superman gets the flu

I'm going to do my best to get through this, but I can't make any guarantees.

I think every kid things of their father as a superhero. I just happen to have a lot of evidence to support it. My mother loves to tell the story about one of the times they helped some friends move. My dad, most likely tired of waiting for help, took hold of a freezer chest, threw it on his back and carried it up a flight of stairs. Well, at some point, someone opened the freezer to discover it was full of something like 50 pounds of deer meat. My dad has had two heart attacks. We don't know when the first one was for sure, he probably thought it was indigestion and took a Tums. His body rerouted the blood, and he carried on. The second one was worse, and he went to the hospital. But when the doctors were taking too long, he turned to my mother and said he was feeling better, maybe they could get some lunch and come back.

A couple of weeks ago, the doctor started my dad on a new cholesterol pill, but it made him sick. He stopped taking it, but he just wasn't feeling better. If anything he was feeling worse. but in typical fashion, he thought it would pass. He was due to travel to Boise for work this week. So my mother made him schedule an appointment for last Friday with the doctor. The doctor ordered him an MRI for that day. They discovered growth on his liver and one of his kidneys. The doctor scheduled him a CT scan for Monday, the next available appointment they could get him...

Tuesday we got the news...

He has pancreatic cancer.

It was like hearing that Superman was dying of the flu.

He's going to Phoenix on Monday for further diagnosis and possible treatment options.

1 comment:

Vicky said...

So, so sorry to hear this, Brooke. You and your family are in my prayers. ❤️