8/29/2012

on dystopian novels

I have read a lot of dystopian novels.  I got on the kick after reading Hunger Games.  I like them.  A lot of them are Young Adult, and from my experience most don't have a lot of sex or language (though they usually have violence).  I just wanted to post a listing of the ones I've read in order of best to worst, with a brief description.
1. Hunger Games series (Hunger Games, Catching Fire, Mockingjay).
about a televised fight to the death required by the Capitol to remind the Districts who is in charge.
2.  Fahrenheit 451
The written word has been banned.  It is the job of Firefighters to burn any books that are found.
3.  The Divergent series (Divergent, Insurgent, and Untitled to be released in the Spring)
When people reach a certain age, they are divided into Factions which determines where they live and their job possibilities.
4.  Matched series (Matched, Crossed, and Reached- which comes out November 13th).
When people reach a certain age, a spouse is selected for them.  Only Cassia receives two.
5.  Razorland (Enclave, Endurance (which is on my Kindle) and Outpost which comes out on September 4th).  Tribes of people live underground because they believe the world "topside" has been destroyed.
6. Delirium series (Delirium, Pandemonium (which I just haven't gotten around to reading yet because I have so many other books to read, which are probably better...)  It is decided that love is a disease, and at a certain age, people are cured of it.
7.  The Road.  Just about the most depressing book I've ever read.  About a man and his son trying to survive in a world covered with ash (though it never explains why) and with pretty much no food left in the world.

Thoughts:  First, I have got to stop starting series that all of the books aren't out yet!!!

Why is Hunger Games the best?  The characters.  They are just so real to me.  And of course because I have a fictional crush on Peeta.

I enjoyed Divergent.  I liked the stuff on fear a lot (don't want to give too much away because I think a lot of people haven't read all of these.

As for Matched, I really liked the first one but felt like all they did was wander around in the second one.  I hope the third one is better.

The Razorland ones felt a bit bloody to me, which is strange because it probably wasn't as bloody as Hunger Games.  I think she just described the bloody parts in more detail or something.

 I didn't love Delirium.  For starters, I totally missed the part where Lena fell in love with Alex.  Plus, I didn't really care for Alex overall.

The Road won all sorts of awards, but I really just thought it was depressing.

On my list of ones to still read:
Chaos Walking series
The Maze Runner series
The Gone series (not sure this one is technically dystopian)

So, have you read any dystopian novels?  Which ones were your favorites?  Any you recommend?

PS.  Spell check doesn't think dystopian is a word.  But google does.

1 comment:

Katie said...

The Maze Runner series is so different from the others. It was almost frustrating in how little information it gives you for so long, but it was refreshing to read something a little different from all the 'divide up based on some criteria and then fall in love with someone you shouldn't then try to buck the system' formulas.

I didn't love Matched, but I loved Divergent. What else have I read? Did you read Uglies and Pretties and all those? They were pretty good. Try 'Unwind'. That one was good too. I also really like the 'I Am Number 4' series, though it's not really a dystopia.