12/10/2013

The Catching Fire Review

Okay, let's get this out of the way first. Disclaimers: This will contain MAJOR SPOILERS of said movie and book, and may also include spoilers of Hunger Games and/or Mockingjay. Also, this is a review. It contains MY evaluations and opinions on the movie. If you don't want my opinions, then frankly, don't read this review. And if you choose to anyway, don't go on to insult me personally in the comments. I know my shortcomings and do not need them listed for me, thank you very much.

This is the BEST book to movie adaptation I have ever seen in my life, way better even than the original Hunger Games. Whenever there are direct quotes from the book in the movie, I consider that a good thing. As always, there were things that were left out, but Catching Fire had so much good stuff in the book, it was bound to happen. Sadly, one of my personal favorite scenes was left out, though they still managed to get in the required line from it. (explanation:) The scene I am referring to is the one after Katniss has to jump out of a tree in order to get over the fence back into District 12. She then returns home to find Peacekeepers waiting for her. She has to make up a story and not act hurt so she doesn't give herself away. I just find the story she makes up and the banter between her and Haymitch and Peeta amusing as they tease her about not listening to where the goat man lives and whatnot. Then, of course Peeta catches on to her being hurt and the Peacekeepers give their warning. Her mother treats her foot and then Peeta helps her up to bed and he says one of the best and most important lines in Catching Fire (even if Katniss doesn't consciously hear it), "Always." And though the movie did not have the scene, they did keep the important line, when she has a nightmare and asks Peeta to stay he says, "sure," but then after she puts her head on his chest he says, "Always." So, they get credit for keeping that in.

Another part I was worried would be left out made the cut, when Peeta cuts into the force field and dies and his line about how his heart seems to be working fine now. Why was I afraid it might not be in the movie? Well, in Hunger Games, I thought the "force fields"/boarders of the arena were too obvious, and I didn't see how they were going to explain how Peeta missed seeing it. They weren't as obvious in Catching Fire. Also, I wasn't exactly sure about the logistics of Sam Clifton (Finnick) giving Josh Hutcherson (Peeta) mouth to mouth and how that would work with filming and ratings and sanitation... I don't know, I just wasn't sure about that. But it is a vital scene. Why? For starters, the emotion. (because this movie wasn't a crazy emotional roller coaster ride!). I bawled when I read this part for the first time. I may have cursed Suzanne Collins even. (You don't mess with Peeta!) But more importantly Katniss's emotion. I think this is when Katniss begins to see that she has feelings for Peeta, and again, it is significant for a line in Mockingjay, when Finnick tells Katniss that he thought it was all an act until that moment and her reaction to it. And the film did a great job of showing Finnick's reaction to it, to lead up to that part in Mockingjay. (BTW, if you are bored or want to be grossed out, go watch any interview of Jennifer Lawrence talking about this scene).

Other than the scene they left out that I love, no real complaints. They changed around some of the stuff with Gale, like why he was whipped and when he kissed Katniss, but it all fit with the story and plot and didn't detract from anything, so I will let it slide. :)

Overall, the emotion in this movie was AMAZING! Jennifer Lawrence can say so much with her expressions (watch her face in the scene where they ride in the elevator with Johanna). Josh Hutcherson can't be ignored either though, he is much more subtle (but I find that Peeta like), so you have to pay attention to him to catch a lot of his. There is one part when they are on the beach and he is showing her the locket and saying nobody needs him (which he pulled off without sounding self-pitying or anything, and I was greatly impressed), and Katniss says, "I do," and kisses him. He gives her this look, that if you catch it sums up everything he feels for her and should just melt her. I love Jenna Malone as Johanna Mason. She has some excellent lines and pulls them all off with perfect Johanna sarcasm. Haymitch even has a great subtle part, after Peeta says Katniss is pregnant, where he gives Peeta this salute that is perfect. The movie is so intense that at times during the arena, I am pretty sure I forgot to breathe, and though I didn't cry like I did when Rue died in the first one, there were tears in my eyes several times, but it is more like there wasn't time to cry before the next emotion than that the emotions weren't as well portrayed.

A part of me is actually really curious, now, to see what Francis Lawrence would have done with the first one since this one was so great and followed the book so well.

I wish Mockingjay was coming out in the Spring!!!! As for Mockingjay, I think the biggest challenges are going to be making it into two parts, and it will definitely put Josh Hutcherson's acting to the test because Peeta is about to get really complicated.

Now go read Divergent, and we will see how they do with that one in March. Already, I think the guy that plays Four is way too old looking.

And you are welcome to leave your thoughts and opinions in the comments.

No comments: